Tuesday, January 6, 2009

The Delmarva Classic needs your help

The Wi-Hi Wrestling Team DESPERATELY needs your help. Last season, after a 13th year of record attendance, we made the decision to move the Delmarva Classic Wrestling Tournament to the Civic Center. We had more teams interested in attending than ever before, and this would allow us to also offer a JV tournament for those JV wrestlers who get few opportunities to wrestle each year. The tournament will be next Friday and Saturday, Jan. 16-17.

With the Civic Center comes a rental fee - $3,000 a day for the two days, and $1,000 in mandatory WY&CC staffing. The Civic Center is barred by the County Council from giving community groups discounts as they have in the past. So we have to pay the entire $7,000. I don't blame the Civic Center - they are just administering a policy given to them by the County. Arguing over whether it's fair or not doesn't help me make the rent, to be blunt. It is there, and must be paid.

The team had planned on doing that by offering sponsorships - $300 per weight class (there are 14) would get a corporate logo on every t-shirt, every program sold, and every bracket for that weight class. Also, the mat that weight class is wrestled on would have signage as well. This looked like a great idea last spring, it really did.

Well, the response has been underwhelming to say the least. Of the 6 of us actively soliciting sponsorships, we have secured one. Not one each, one. We need 14. And, to make matters worse, I've had 4 teams (and their fees) pull out due to travel restrictions put on them by their counties, so instead of 21 teams, I now have 17.

If you know ANYONE who owns a business that you think might be willing to help the Wrestling team, PLEASE let me know. I’ll pass on a sponsorship packet you can present to them, or arrange for someone from the team to make contact.

We’re looking at losing more than $3,000 if we don’t secure these sponsorships, and I have to have a definitive list by next Tuesday – just 8 days from now.

If you know ANYONE who can be of help, LET US KNOW!

Sincerely,

Bill Duck

Tournament Director

delmarvaclassic@verizon.net

ADDENDUM: Just to clear a few things up...

PLEASE don't bash the Civic Center over this - they and Tourism are bending over backwards to help. I don't want anyone to think THEY are the problem - they're not. I knew what I was getting into as far as rent when we agreed to this. We just had no idea the economy was going to absolutely tank the way it did. The Civic Center and Tourism staff have been GREAT to work worth - they're doing all they can within the latitude they have, which isn't much. I can't stress that enough - this is not a problem of their making. We have had support from the business community before, and I'm sure there are people and businesses who want to help, but just can't. I just wanted to let the community know "Here's a need, can you help?" That's all I'm doing, and I thank SBYNews.com for letting me do that.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

geez, Duck.
$10.00 per day admission, plus the cost of WYCC concessions.

I think I'd rather be unhappy about seating. Ouch.

duck around said...

That's what War on the Shore charged. If I could charge less and still make a profit, trust me, I would. And I can't do 3 sessions and charge less per session because I can't clear the entire bottom floor of the Civic Center to make sure everyone's paid for the finals session.

And 90% of admissions will be the two-day pass for $15, if history is any guide.

Trust me, it's not what I want to do.