Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Changing "Maryland! My Maryland!"


From
delmarvanow.com:

ANNAPOLIS, Md. (AP) — Senate President Thomas V. Mike Miller is suggesting that a state commission examine Maryland's state song and consider changing some stanzas.

Legislation that would have changed some of the words to "Maryland! My Maryland!" has failed in a House committee. A Senate version of the bill remains in a committee.

And why would the legislators of Maryland want to change such a historic state anthem? Well, let's take a look at a few of the lyrics:

The despot's heel is on thy shore, 

Maryland!

His torch is at thy temple door,

Maryland!

Avenge the patriotic gore

That flecked the streets of Baltimore,

And be the battle queen of yore,

Maryland! My Maryland!


So who's the despot whose heel is on thy shore? This guy:


Yeah, Abraham Lincoln.

Maryland's state anthem (sung to the tune of "O, Christmas tree", by the way) was a call for secession to the South in 1861. So I can see where some may feel it's just a little out of date.
Some other chocie lines from the state's official song:

I hear the distant thunder-hum,Maryland!The Old Line bugle, fife, and drum,
Maryland!
She is not dead, nor deaf, nor dumb-
Huzza! She spurns the Northern scum!
She breathes! She burns! She'll come! She'll come!
Maryland! My Maryland!

So, uh, really - "She spurns the Northern scum?"

I don't need a tune like "Almost Heaven West Virginia" or "Hang On, Sloopie" (official state rock song of Ohio, really), but I do think we can do better than "She spurns the Northern scum!" Even if I agree with it whenever I get cut-off by a car with New Jersey tags on the Rt. 13 Bypass...  

No comments: