Thursday, December 4, 2008

Metallica and the Grammys

Normally, I'd rant for days on end about how clueless the Grammy people are about metal and rock. I still remember almost throwing a coffee table into my parents' TV when Jethro Tull won the first Metal Grammy in 1990, just moments after Metallica had just performed.

But not this year - I just don't have time. Instead, I take satisfaction in the fact Metallica has four nominations, specifically:

Best Metal Performance (for My Apocalypse)
Best Rock Instrumental Performance (for Suicide and Redemption)
Best Rock Album (for Death Magnetic)
Best Recording Package (for Death Magnetic - the coffin box is really cool)

and Rick Rubin picks up a nomination for Producer Of The Year, Non-Classical, which he absolutely, positively, must not win. More on why here. Seriously, the CD mastering sounds like crap. Like a 10-year-old held a tape recorder too close to a radio. It's that bad. Don't believe me? Check this out (and click on View in High Quality) and read the article mentioned in the info.

Here's My Apocalypse for your viewing and audio enjoyment.


No comments: