Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Words Fail Me.

Those who know me know I'm not a reticent guy. I talk. A lot. Usually too much. But faced with this yesterday, I didn't do much talking. The occassion simply called for silence.



Sure, it was cold getting in line for Silver Ticket Security at 5:30 a.m. Yes, it was cold standing from 5:30 a.m. until 3:00 p.m. No, I couldn't see very well.

But the sound I will remember is the sound of 1.5 million people listening to every word President Obama spoke. You could hear a pin drop on grass when his Inaugural Address began, and you could hear a pin drop on grass until moments after he finished.

There wasn't much grand poetry in his address. He didn't offer the lifting language of the campaign. You didn't want to run through a wall for him after listening to him like in the campaign. This was a speech full of hard realities, and a firm conviction to set things right.

This isn't the speech we wanted. But it was the speech we needed.

More later tonight.

No comments: