Tuesday, November 18, 2008

National Hunger and Homeless Awareness Week

From an e-mail I received at work from a volunteer...

National Hunger and Homeless Awareness Week
November 17-21, 2008



"I hollered over and said, 'Can I get you something?' I didn't know what to do." She learned the man's name was Rick. They sat on a guardrail and talked for nearly an hour. "And I began to realize that homeless people are not strange or bad or anything I saw on TV. This was just an average person for whom life took a bad turn, not much different from where mine was."

–Celeste Savage (“
HALO Director takes Detour into helping the homeless”)

Did you realize……

2300 Meals have been served at the HALO Street Program since January 2008.

20 families per week get food from the HALO Pantry.

HALO: Hope and Life Outreach 410-742-9356

Information on other local resources is on its way this week!

Do you know of a resource for homeless children? Please let us know about it!

Wicomico County has more than 1 in every 6 MD students in its public schools. Let's state that again: One in every SIX homeless students in MD goes to a school in our county. If you can help, please do.

No comments: