Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Thoughts and Questions: Nov. 19 edition

Can someone explain to me what's happening with the PAC-14 Board? I know I should care, but I can't even get the channel, because like almost 40% of Wicomico County, I can't get cable even if I wanted to. And have I mentioned just how much I hate Comcast? It's bound to come out sooner or later, so you might as well know that up front. 

But I read things like this, and wonder - who would CARE so much about wielding power of a public access channel almost half the county can't even get and almost no one watches?

SALISBURY -- Plans for Public Access Channel 14 are still murky, with some board members resigning in the latest twist.

This week Michael Day and Grace Foxwell Murdock informed Salisbury Mayor Barrie Parsons Tilghman they are stepping down from the TV station's dysfunctional board of directors.

The station broadcasts local shows and government meetings to Wicomico County viewers, but members of the station are caught in a power struggle over its future. The resignations come amid fears that PAC-14 might lose its independence in a set of bylaws now under consideration exclusively by the city and county. The station now receives practically all of its funding from the two governments.


Seriously, what am I missing here? Salisbury University is apparently giving up its role with PAC-14, and now Wicomico County and the City of Salisbury will be the sole entities supplying members to this board, although no direct tax money from residents is used in funding PAC-14, if I am to believe their website. And there better not be, because I'll be like a 60-year-old retiree complaining about paying for schools I don't have kids in if I have to pay for a cable channel the cable company won't let me buy.

But the "intrigue" mentioned in the article - no board meetings for two years, side groups being formed - really, who care that much about public access television? What am I missing here?

No comments: